Pages

Thursday, August 24, 2017

Katrina and how it changed my outlook...

We have a tropical storm brewing in the Gulf of Mexico right now. Its called Harvey.. I'm hoping its a Harvey Korman rather than a Harvey Keitel.

Its brought up a lot of discussions about Katrina with the team members who are not from Louisiana or have not been in hurricanes previously. We tell them that Harvey is not going to impact us too much, not like Katrina did.

Which brings back a bunch of memories that are not bad memories, just memories that make me realize that I look at life a little differently now. I don't dread hurricanes, I just think back to my experiences and know how quickly life can change.


Katrina was bad. It killed bunches of folks, it took irreplaceable heirlooms, it took homes. That goes with the territory, all of those things contribute, but takeaway I have is life can change in a heartbeat.


Now as you read this, realize that I am not a prepper. I am just a regularly guy who get up every morning and goes to work and hopes that the status quo remains until I am old enough to retire, and our grandkids can enjoy this great country.

What I know now is that we are one natural disaster away from total anarchy.

Enjoy your electricity?

It can be taken away in a heartbeat. Our electricity at home was out for over a month. Think of all the things you use electricity for? Keep medicines cool, food cool, house cool, house warm, lights, television.

Think about that, with the help of all available energy crews from all over the country, it took them over 30 days to repair!!! Thinks about the breadth of the destruction! Without electricity, you could not get gas at the gas station. Then your mobility is severally hampered, and you can not escape somewhere with modern creature comforts. You can't get gas, you can't get food, you can't do your job, you can't make money.

So always be aware and understand what is going on in your surroundings and be prepared to remove yourself and your family from bad situations if required. Big government and private companies end up just as helpless in these grave times of need. The only help you can count on is friends and family.






No comments:

Post a Comment