Pages

Tuesday, August 29, 2017

The Hummingbird

Yesterday afternoon when I got home my wife was standing in the garage. Almost as if she was waiting on me. Which I knew was not the case.. I asked her what she was doing and she told me that there was a hummingbird trapped in the garage.

In reviewing the situation I could not understand how this little guy was trapped since the garage door was as open as it can get. It seemed as though the guy  couldn't understand to fly a foot lower and he could just zoom out of the garage.

We could not scare him out. I lowered the door so there would be a gap at the top of the door as well as the bottom. That strategy did not work to well either. So we decided to go to dinner and think about solutions. We wanted him out so that he would not die from dehydration of starvation.

The plan we had decided to use was to hang a feeder from the open door and see if the sugar water would draw him down to the lower level and allow him to see his way out. I did not participate in this portion, but I wish I had taken a picture. It was a redneck display of epic proportion. The hummingbird feeder was hung with a zip tie from the garage door. They had placed flowers in my jack handle directly under the feeder.

It was a great idea and the hummingbird took the bait. It got a drink and then flew the coop.

Everyone was happy. The bird was happy. We had successfully saved the little bird, and that little bit of kindness made us all feel good.


No comments:

Post a Comment