Pages

Sunday, September 10, 2017

1973 Torino - Old Car Truth's



Yesterday I was working on the fuel system in the Torino. I am getting it ready to support the fuel injection system. One of the first items I decided to do was to replace the old fuel tank with a brand new tank. I wanted to to do this in order to make sure that no old debris clogged up my new system. This change would also enable me to install a 27.5 gallon tank from a later year Torino in lieu of the stock 22 gallon tank.

This whole process is going to be part of a video that I am making on installing the Holley Sniper system. So I won't go into this in any great detail right now. I would like to say that by removing the tank after 44 years exposed one of the "Old Car Truth's".

The Truth in this case is that working on these cars leads to other work that is required. So if you are working on your own vehicle you must be prepared to be distracted from the initial goal to take care of an issue that you did not know when you started working on the current task.

With the old tank removed I discovered that there was no undercoating above the tank. It had surface rust, and a little more serious rust. So rather than continuing with the fuel system install I now have to take care of the rust and then paint the area. I could just leave it alone and move on, but I can't. I know its there so now I need to fix it. So that's what I'll do.

The next "Old Car Truth" that was exposed by this fuel system install is that you never have all the parts you need to finish the project immediately. With changing tanks, I need to order a breather for the top of the new tank. between 73 and 74 they made a few changes between the tanks other than the capacity.

Now mind you I'm not complaining, I am just stating fact. I will continue plugging away because I cannot wait to drive the car with fuel injection and I want it done prior to Cruising the Coast in October.

No comments:

Post a Comment