Pages

Thursday, September 14, 2017

Overabundance of unloved dogs...





I was reviewing my blog to see what I could do to get more folks looking at what I'm writing about and I actually realized that one of the items I said I was going to ramble about was dogs. I have been remiss in writing about some of the best friends I've ever had. Four legged friends that is.

I was blessed that my parents had dogs in our house from a very early age. From these animals I learned compassion and responsibility among many other things. They were companions that helped fill my days.

These four legged friends are a gift and it seems that not everyone takes the commitment as seriously as they should. I try to help as much as I can by donating to rescues so that some of these pups can get a second chance. They are spayed or neutered and then adopted out.

I say all of this to let you know that my heart really goes out to these pups. I wish there was more regulation on these puppy mills. I wish all of the irresponsible pet owners would immediately spay and neuter their animals since its the right thing to do. That way we could cut down on the number of unloved dogs.

We had a slight tragedy at the end of last year, our 14 year old schnauzer Jo Jo, after having a splenectomy, succumbed to whatever cancer had caused the enlarged spleen. We were all heartbroken because she was the sweetest dog ever, except to Jessie.

We acquired her as a rescue. Her original Owner had failing health so she could no longer care for poor Jo Jo. So that is how she came into our family. She loved us and we loved her back.




Jo Jo 

But then she was gone, and it left quite a void. We couldn't stop thinking about her, including Jessie. The entire time that we had her, Jessie and Jo Jo ate from the same bowl. They could do math, one would only eat half the bowl and leave the other half for whomever was next. Jessie looked for her, and could't figure out where she had gone.

Based on our experience with Jo Jo we had decided that when the time came for a new furry family member we would be adopting from a rescue. We started looking in June, and we just couldn't decide when the right time would be.

In late June one of the rescues we follow and support posted a Facebook message that they were rescuing 25 dogs from a hoarding situation. That they did not have room, and that they were having an emergency adoption event the next day. They wanted folks interested in adopting to come the first night, and then have fosters come the following day.

We arrived early and we saw a cute pup. We asked to see her. Ash sat on the ground and the dog crawled in her lap and sat down. I then immediately knew that the skinny, stinky, bad haired dog was our next pup. Just wagged her tail and wanted her belly rubbed.

Well she went home with us that night and we now have a great new member of our family. Her name is Lucy, and she is a purebred mutt. She loves everyone. Enjoys laying with you to watch TV and Loves when you get home. Hopefully she'll be a good sister to Jessie for a long time.

Lucy 


So please, when its time for your next pet, please save a pup. The more folks who get rescue dogs will be that many less pups that help continue the puppy mills.


No comments:

Post a Comment