Pages

Thursday, September 7, 2017

Taking our baby to college.


Join Prime Student FREE Two-Day Shipping for College Students



I think the next few days will be slightly rough for my wife and me. We get to participate in the act of our daughter growing up and leaving the nest. She is headed off to college, and as an only child, this will leave a large hole in the fabric of the nest. We get the pleasure of loading all her earthly belongings up, driving for hours, and then trying to squeeze it all into a dorm room.

Everyone keeps telling me that once we become comfortable with the change we will thoroughly enjoy our empty nest. Though this may be true, I really do not see that occurring anytime soon. Not only will our daughter not be there to interact with us on a daily basis, but neither will her friends.

This will be a big change as well, since the kids have been part of our life for the past 10 years. I wish them all the best, and I am rooting for them to do great in school and in life, I just know we will miss them.

We have been extremely fortunate to have a daughter that has always been a pleasure to be around. Her intelligence and maturity has meant that no matter where we go or what we’re doing she fits perfectly into most all situations.

Based on this maturity she has always made some good decisions and been trusting enough of us that decisions she is not comfortable with, she discusses with either my wife or I. Although she will now be “on her own”, I truly hope that this personality trait continues. She will use this emotional intelligence to hopefully make many new friends that will last her a lifetime, while not forgetting the friends the she has now that have helped make her whom she is.

The range of emotions this activity is producing is incredibly wide. We are sad that our baby is going out on her own. Meanwhile, I can only imagine the incredible excitement, and curiosity that my daughter feels about getting to make a run at being “independent”.  She will be facing her own adjustments that while she doesn’t know it will be as big as or bigger than ours. I wish her luck, and want her to know that we are always here for her or any of her friends.

As all of these young adults head out into the world to make their mark, let’s say a prayer for them and their parents as everyone adjusts to this part of the circle of life. There will be success and failure, but that is life and that is what they are about to learn. Hopefully we have prepared all of them to be successful in their coming endeavors

No comments:

Post a Comment